Your skin requires attention to keep it looking and feeling healthy. Healthy skin is supple, clear, and radiant. But as you age, your skin becomes drier, wrinkled, and looser. How to tighten loose skin has been an age-old question. Today, you have some answers. In New York City, you can find many remedies to treat aging skin — from topical creams and chemical peels to plastic surgery. As an alternative to a facelift, laser skin tightening is an innovative and highly effective technique that reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. This treatment uses a laser, radiofrequency, or ultrasound to tighten and smooth your skin.
The Benefits of Laser Skin Tightening
With age, skin tends to sag or wrinkle in undesirable places. Visit a top Manhattan dermatology practice for laser treatment. It can be performed on your face, arms, and body. The benefits of laser treatment include:
- Skin laxity improvement that also reduces wrinkles and fine lines
- Short downtime during recovery
- It’s a nonsurgical procedure
- More convenient than surgery
- Performed right in your dermatologist’s office
- Minimal risk or pain
- The continued improvement as time goes on
- FDA approved
The laser treatment encourages the production of collagen within your skin. That’s how to tighten skin. Collagen is what keeps your skin supple and wrinkle-free, but its production slows as you age. Stimulating its growth means you get smoother, softer, and healthier skin in the treated areas.
Ideal Candidates for Skin Tightening
The impacts of aging and the environment show as your skin naturally starts to wrinkle. One day, you look in the mirror and realize you look older than you feel. If you’re wondering how to tighten loose skin, consider a skin tightening procedure. The ideal candidate for laser skin tightening is a man or woman in good health between 30 and 60. Laser skin tightening works on almost every skin tone and type. Your experienced cosmetic dermatologist in New York assesses your skin based on your individual needs in an examination. The next step is creating a personalized treatment plan for you. You will need a series of laser treatments.
How to Tighten Skin
The procedure for laser skin tightening takes place in your dermatologist’s office in Manhattan. When you arrive for your appointment, be sure your skin is clean and free of makeup and oil — including sunscreen. Then:
- You’re provided protective eyewear, especially if your face is to be treated.
- A trained technician or your dermatologist applies a topical anesthetic cream to your skin in the target area to ease any mild discomfort from the laser.
- Your dermatologist uses a handheld device that applies short pulses of energy to the targeted area.
- As the collagen under the skin heats up and contracts, the outer skin — your epidermis — also warms up. The laser device has built-in cooling technology to ensure minimal discomfort.
- Depending on the size and location of the treated area, each session takes roughly 30 to 60 minutes.
The procedure isn’t painful, and most patients experience just some mild discomfort during the session. Unlike other options, laser treatment has few risks.
The Need for Touch-Ups
After the first session, you’ll notice changes in the tone and condition of your skin, with a more youthful appearance. In between treatments, your collagen naturally regenerates, which is how to tighten loose skin. Throughout the following months, your skin continues to improve. You see optimal results between 90 and 180 days after your treatment. Most cosmetic dermatologists recommend having multiple sessions for a full treatment plan. The number of treatments right for you depends on your skin type. The sessions are usually spaced about four weeks apart to allow your skin to heal properly. After the initial series of treatments, you may only need to have yearly visits to target problem areas and keep your skin looking its best.
Potential Side Effects
Facial skin tightening is a prevalent dermatology procedure because of the minimal risk of side effects. Unlike plastic surgery, laser skin tightening is minimally invasive. Side effects are uncommon and mild when they so happen. You shouldn’t feel any pain after your treatment. Some patients experience redness, minor swelling, or a warm sensation on their skin. All side effects usually clear up within hours to days of having the procedure, and you may immediately return to your usual activities, including going to work. That’s the extent of the potential side effects, as long as you have the procedure done by a trained, licensed dermatologist.
Cost of Laser Treatments
One of the most affordable ways to improve the condition of aging skin is laser skin tightening. The cost of the treatment varies based on certain factors:
- Your skin type
- Size of area to be treated
- Condition of your skin
- How many treatments do you need
Important Reminder: This information is only intended to provide guidance, not definitive medical advice. Please consult dermatologist NYC about your specific condition. Only a trained, experienced board-certified dermatology doctor or pediatric dermatologist can determine an accurate diagnosis and proper treatment.
(212) 427-8750 Manhattan Dermatology (Midtown) 56 W 45th St, Ste 819, NY 10036
(212) 889-2402 Manhattan Dermatology (Union Square) 55 W 17th St, Ste 103, NY 10011